About Us

My photo
The title for our blog came from the saying "thinking outside the box", which means to think differently, unconventionally or from a new perspective. "Enjoy your choices and enjoy what you do. Never let a day go by without being thankful for the fact that you get to be here in the first place." Hopefully this blog will help family and friends to stay a little closer to us even though were thousands of miles apart; as well as to share in our trials, daily life adventures and traveling experiences.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Potty Training

Shortly after Ella's second birthday we decided it was time to try potty training. At first I looked at potty training as a YIPPEEEE...no more cost for diapers (at least until the baby arrives), but then it made me a bit sad. Potty training is an important step from infancy to early childhood. It's a sign of growing up, so as parents we also need to be ready to grow along with Ella........after all, potty training is only the beginning!

I didn't have high hopes of her mastering it, I just wanted to introduce a potty to her and start talking about being a big girl. After some suggestions from other mommy friends we went with two different potties. I try and give Ella choices a lot. I find that she feels more in control if I give her a choice. I do limited these choices however. I certainly don't ask if she'd rather have M&M's or apples as a snack! I read in one of my parenting books that the choices you give your child should all be ones you would be happy with them choosing. So when it came to starting the potty process I thought giving her the choice of using the big potty like mommy and daddy or the special one for her would help.

We settled on the BabyBjorn Toilet Trainer that fits right on our toilet and the Fisher Price Ducky Fun 3-in-1 potty. I wasn't going to go with a potty that sang and played music just for going in it, but after some suggestions I thought maybe it might encourage Ella to sit on it more. It doubles as a step stool for washing hands or getting up on the toilet when using the other potty seat and I am very happy with both purchases!

In the beginning it was very slow!! I would ask Ella if she wanted to give either potty a try. Mostly she stuck to the "ducky potty" as we called it. Then I swithced to giving her an M&M each time she did something on the potty. She was so motivated for that one M&M that she would sit there FOREVER while we read book after book. She was determined to go and she only ever peed on it. We even got to the point where she would say Go Potty, but this was always AFTER she had pooped in her pants.  I tried to remain positive and praise her for at least saying she went potty.

Then about the beginning of December she wanted NOTHING to do with the potty. I couldn't get her to sit on it during the day at all!! I thought we had made so much progress but decided to give it a break for a bit.

The more I let her escape trying the potty the more I realized she really was ready to try but rather to busy to stop what she was doing to sit on it. We have been in full swing of using the potty for about 2 weeks now.

I got all my supplies ready this time! Stickers, pull-ups, and informational books!

I made Ella a special chart to put her stickers on. I found the toilet template through a google search. I drew 6 boxes inside. After filing one potty with 6 stickers she gets to pick a special prize. We bought some lollipops and both Dora and Tinkerbell fruit snacks.....her favorite treats!!

The basket of books next to her potty was filled with only library books. These books are only looked at and read when sitting on the potty. They are changed every other week to keep her interest while she sits there. Everything was a hit!!!
Sometimes its more of a playtime.....
potty time before a bath
 And we usually need to bring everything but the kitchen sink in with us.....
Blankets because she always says she's cold and insists on wrapping up in them, lego blocks, little people....pretty much whatever she is playing with at the time. We've even played the piano while on the potty!

Unfortunately I haven't seen any more progress then our first attempt at it.  The pull ups were a hit at first but now I'm finding she just goes in her pull up and doesn't even care. As much as it's hard watching Ella grow up so quickly, I'm ready for her to be out of diapers. With only 4 1/2 months left before baby # 2 arrives it looks like we might just go straight to underwear and see how she reacts.

Any advice from you other mommies out there???

2 comments:

Jaime said...

Hey kristina! I do have a little pointer for you.....get rid of the pull ups, they are just expensive diapers. Go straight to undies - they need to feel and know the consequences of being wet or dirty, and let them help clean up puddles etc. This is a trick I worked out with benjamin, he learnt to do a pee in the potty pretty quickly but kept pooing in his pants, so I went out and bought him some bob-the-builder undies which he LOVED. I would make a point of saying, "Don't get bob wet!" and the very first time he pooed in those undies I told him that now they were ruined and I had to throw them out (which I did! and he didn't like that AT ALL). The next time he did the same thing again and I said, "wow, now these are ruined too, mummy has to throw them out...now you only have 3 left" then again he watched me throw them out and got quite upset. He TOTALLY got it though, I don't think he pooed in his pants again for ages, and by then he had lots of different pairs of undies and we just forgot about the whole 'ruined' thing. Hope that helps!

The Wilcox Family said...

Thanks Jamie. That's where I was thinking we were headed next. I guess the sooner I try it the better!