About Us

My photo
The title for our blog came from the saying "thinking outside the box", which means to think differently, unconventionally or from a new perspective. "Enjoy your choices and enjoy what you do. Never let a day go by without being thankful for the fact that you get to be here in the first place." Hopefully this blog will help family and friends to stay a little closer to us even though were thousands of miles apart; as well as to share in our trials, daily life adventures and traveling experiences.

Monday, January 7, 2013

Out with the old....In with the New

I have wanted a new camera since I became pregnant with Ella. We had to get one while living in Holland because about halfway through the pregnancy our camera bit the dust! It was quite an adventure trying to buy a camera when you couldn't really even talk to the salesman about features and try and get some of their input. We settled on a Cannon which we had in the past.
It had more features than I could even begin to learn how to use at the time. But the more and more I even tried to figure it out and read the 100 page manual that came with it I could never get the pictures I really wanted. I complained about that camera so much that Doug finally caved.

This year as our Christmas present we got a really good DSLR camera. I went back and forth between a Cannon model and a Nikon. I spent hours after Ella went to bed at night reading about each one and watching youtube tutorials about each. I talked to every friend I knew had one and I swear I went to the store to play around with each of them at least 4 times before I felt like I was ready to commit.

I was so afraid that I would make the wrong decision in purchasing one and end up disliking it as much as the one we bought in Holland (which was only a point and shoot camera so it was never going to take as good of pictures anyway). Besides Doug was so tired of hearing me complain that he told me I had to pick one.

I am SOOOO happy with our new Nikon d5100 and Doug has said on several occasions how much he loves the camera as well!

Can you tell the difference in the quality of each of the pictures since I had to use the opposite camera to take a picture of the camera I wanted to post a picture of?
I can't believe what I can do with that camera and I am learning more and more everyday. I planned to take an introductory course on using DSLR cameras but Doug will be traveling for work (back to the Netherlands) and I'd miss one of the classes, so I have to put that off for now. I'm already on the hunt for another course because I can't wait to learn even more about it. Over time I hope to buy different lens and really get into photography since I love it so much.

2 comments:

la petite lulu said...

Hooray!!!! We are a Canon family but a photographer friend of mine raves about Nikon. Hey you should join in the 52 weeks project! It'd be a fun way to share what you're practicing :) I just got Mitch to give me a crash course on our camera and lightroom editing yesterday, we can learn together!

The Wilcox Family said...

I'm afraid I'm not ready for the 52 weeks project. While I'm learning.....I haven't learned enough yet to try a program like that. Sounds fun though. I'm sure you're pictures will be amazing!