I found a library to go to that is about 10 minutes from where we live. I was excited when I came across this library in my google search because it had exactly what I wanted......a story hour! I signed Ella up for Toddler Time on Tuesday mornings. We also go to Romp and Read on Friday mornings. They are both ]similar but you had to register for the actual Toddler Time story hour. Anyone who knows Ella, knows she has a HUGE love of books. We had gone to the library some when we lived in Holland and they had a small English children's section but no story hour.
Ella was extra excited about our first visit a few weeks ago. As soon as she woke up she had remembered about going to the library and talked about it all morning.......10:30 didn't seem to come fast enough.
We had A LOT of fun! They handed out a little brochure with all the books, songs and finger plays they planned to do. It was a lot easier for me to say the words to Ella having that to follow. They had an
Apples n Autumn theme. Most of the books and songs were about apples. Ella's favorite activity was the huge parachute. All the kids held on and they placed fake leaves in the center. Then when they shook it the leaves fell down all around them. The kids were also allowed to run under the parachute as the adults (which include parents, grandparents and nannies) held it up. Ella was one of only three of the kids who actually ran under it. Once the activity was cleaned up the kids had free time to play. Once again Ella did very well for not having a lot of exposure to other kids and sharing toys. I was surprised by how many people and kids were actually there. I am hoping after a few more visits I'll get to know someone I could become more "friends" with.
I didn't take my camera in because I didn't want to look odd, but it really was a nice time . Ella and I really looked forward to going back. It was such a nice day that after Ella picked out some books to take home (which were all about Halloween) we enjoyed a snack outside.
I had some shopping I wanted to do at the mall so we headed there after. Ella was such a good girl both at story hour and while I had to return and shop for some things that we decided to have a little lunch as a special treat. There wasn't much to choose from for places to eat so we settled on Wendy's......what's more special for a treat than french fries and a frosty anyway?!
Romp and Read that following Friday was very similar except it was just a few books and songs. I was expecting that though because it's just a drop in kind of hour. You can come and go as you like.
So far this week we have only attended Ella's Tuesday Toddler Time story hour and I have to say I was extremely disappointed. Especially since Ella was just as eager to go as the first time. She even wanted to carry her own books back.
They handed out another brochure with the activities but they really didn't do anything. The instructor read two books, we sang two songs and then they said "Go Play!" It was only 10 minutes of "story hour" and 50 minutes of playtime. I was thinking I could create a theme with a story and activity myself at home but I really want Ella to be around the other kids. Hopefully next Tuesday is much better.
1 comment:
That's a shame that it wasn't as good this time around! I think a lot of it depends on the teacher. I know when our regular teacher is away, it's never as good :( It's nice having these activities to do hey, there really wasn't anything like it in Holland!
Post a Comment