About Us

My photo
The title for our blog came from the saying "thinking outside the box", which means to think differently, unconventionally or from a new perspective. "Enjoy your choices and enjoy what you do. Never let a day go by without being thankful for the fact that you get to be here in the first place." Hopefully this blog will help family and friends to stay a little closer to us even though were thousands of miles apart; as well as to share in our trials, daily life adventures and traveling experiences.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Made from Scratch

Looking back at our food choices while living in the U.S I have begun to realize that we ate very unhealthy. We ate many things that came from a can, or were preprocessed. I didn't realize how much I depended on the boxes and packages of seasoning mixes until I couldn't find them here and started looking up recipes to make meals we enjoy.

I have already shared with you a recipe for Taco and Chicken Spiedie seasoning. Both of these were purchased from a packet or jar when we live in the U.S. but something we couldn't find here.  Tonight I made Sloppy Joes. We have eaten them a few times now. Back in the U.S we bought Hunt's Manwich Sloppy Joe Mix (you guessed it, from a can!!)  But without having that as an option now, I found a recipe for Sloppy Joes.  It has a sweeter taste to it because of the jelly in the recipe, but you could add more or less depending on your specific taste.

To make Sloppy Joes you will need:

1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup condensed tomato soup
1/2 cup ketchup
3 Tablespoons grape jelly
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 Tablespoon Cider Vinegar (I only had apple cider vinegar and it worked fine)
1 Tablespoon prepared mustard (plain yellow mustard did the trick)
1/2 teaspoon salt (or leave out if you're watching your salt intake)
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
5 hamburger buns

In a large skillet. cook beef and onions over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the soup, ketchup, jelly, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, salt and celery seed. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes or until heated through. Serve on buns and ENJOY!!



I have found it to be much tastier, healthy and cheaper to make so many things from scratch. I always have a ton of seasonings and ingredients on hand, so making the recipes below seem to be even easier. Even when we don't live here anymore I will continue to make a lot of the same recipes as I do now.

Here are a few more we have grown to love! Simply click on them to read the recipe or look under the recipe tab on our blog's homepage.

Barbecue Sauce Marinade for Chicken/Pork (for grilling, or just to have as a dipping sauce)
Basil Pesto Sauce (used as a spread for Mozzarella and Tomato toasted sandwiches or in many pasta dishes)
Chili Seasoning Mix
Steak Marinade

No comments: