About Us

My photo
The title for our blog came from the saying "thinking outside the box", which means to think differently, unconventionally or from a new perspective. "Enjoy your choices and enjoy what you do. Never let a day go by without being thankful for the fact that you get to be here in the first place." Hopefully this blog will help family and friends to stay a little closer to us even though were thousands of miles apart; as well as to share in our trials, daily life adventures and traveling experiences.

Friday, September 16, 2011

It's Going to be OK

For the first time, in a long time, I can actually say that I feel everything is going to be....OK! In a very short amount of time (24 days) Ella will be one year old!!! Everyone told us her first year would go so quickly. And while I guess at times it did, the overwhelming feelings I constantly had with her allergies, terrible eczema and hip have made it one very long year.

Yesterday was the first day that I could actually, truly say out loud....Everything is going to be ok, and I really felt that way too. We took Ella to the brace specialist we had seen a week and a half ago to have her new brace fitted. We were not even sure what this new brace she was suppose to wear during the day would look like. We left the office with smiles on our faces. Yes you read correctly...SMILES!! While being in a brace isn't ideal, this new brace makes her life seem more normal, therefore making the overwhelming, emotional feelings that constantly consume my life something of the past. Although the cranky temper tantrums Ella likes to throw every once in awhile when the brace has to be taken on and off for diaper changes hasn't become something of the past (but I can deal with it).



Ella looks great in any color but I guess she'll be wearing more red now. This red, velvet brace is so much softer. Although the stainless steel makes it quite a bit heavier, our 18 pound peanut could use it! The sockets on the brace are designed to represent her hip socket, allowing her to crawl and walk normally. When she sits down, her hips can actually bend allowing her to sit normal as well. She fits beautifully in her car seat and highchair without the extra worry of having to take of the brace (therefore not meeting the required time-frame that the brace should be on her daily.)


For the first time yesterday when we walked out of the office we were practically fighting over who could hold her (ok fighting is a bit of an exaggeration, but you know what I mean). There is no metal bar between her legs that leaves a barrier between us and her when we hold her. Now she can be held up close and snug all the time!!

And within minutes of being home she was  off zooming around the house (with the help of her push toy of course), just as fast as her two little feet could go. I believe it won't be long before she gains more balance and she will walk freely without the toy and still be in this brace.




I know family, friends, neighbors, and even Doug told me it was all going to be OK and I thank all of you for that . As much as I wanted to believe all of you and hoped it would be, the only thing that made everything OK.....was for myself to come to that conclusion on my own! Ella has inspired me to be a stronger person, and a more loving mother than I ever thought I could be......each and everyday.

No comments: