As a child and even now I love to read. While it seems like most of my reading over the past 8 years had to do with teaching, then expecting a baby, and then actually being a parent, I do find more time now to read for pleasure. Doug also enjoys reading and while it's never for pleasure (or what I would call pleasure) he loves all his engineering books that too me look like they are written in a different language. By getting board books and cloth books for Ella and reading to her everyday, we both hoped to instill the love of reading into her as well.
Reading a good book can make you to laugh, cry, take a journey to somewhere you've never been, learn something new, make a connection, bring back memories, or make you dream about your future.
Walt Disney once said, "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." The other day I watched Ella play for about 30 minutes with her basket of books. At first she crawled over to the bookshelf where they are kept. I knew exactly what she wanted because it is becoming a daily thing. I gave her the basket and she began to take the books out one by one, carefully, looking at the covers and turning them back and forth, before moving onto the next one. After most of them were out of the basket, she would then put them back in one by one, before the entire process started over once again. She finally crawled over to me with one of the Biscuit books in her hand. This has become one of her favorites and we read a different one each day at naptime or bedtime. I have always known that she liked the books that she has and the ones we get from the library. She often giggles and tries to turn the pages with Doug or I while we read to her. But today, when she brought me the Biscuit book she wanted me to read to her, even at her young age, I saw in her eyes a love for reading! I think she found her "Treasure Box".
"The journey between what you once were and who you are now becoming is where the dance of life really takes place." Barbara DeAngelis
About Us
- The Wilcox Family
- The title for our blog came from the saying "thinking outside the box", which means to think differently, unconventionally or from a new perspective. "Enjoy your choices and enjoy what you do. Never let a day go by without being thankful for the fact that you get to be here in the first place." Hopefully this blog will help family and friends to stay a little closer to us even though were thousands of miles apart; as well as to share in our trials, daily life adventures and traveling experiences.
1 comment:
Way to go Wilcoxes! Reading is GREAT. Love ya bunches, Mom
Post a Comment