Doug is on "vacation" this entire week, while he locks himself upstairs and stays focused on finally writing the finishing touches for his thesis. While it's not much of a vacation for either one of us, it has been nice to have lunch together everyday. We both agreed it would be nice if he could do his job from a home office everyday!
Thursday afternoon he had to attend a meeting that had been scheduled at his real office in Deventer. I decided that since he was only going for the afternoon it would be nice to go along for the ride to Deventer and spend a few hours walking around the center of town. The shopping is similar to here in Arnhem but the town itself has a lot more character. Since Deventer wasn't completely destroyed during World War II like Arnhem was (and has actually been completely rebuilt), it is a nice town to stroll around.
I had planned to walk more around the outside of the shopping area and try and take some pictures, but of course as soon as I arrived it rained and stayed raining for over an hour. I did get a few which included a tour of some kind with horses, a church and the alleyways I just love, before ducking into the inside of a store to wait for the rain to stop.
I also found some hidden treasures during our day out and about in Deventer. Although it was nothing like Michaels or A.C. Moore, I was ecstatic to find a store called "Hobbies" that has a good scrapbooking section. I was able to find paper for a project I have been wanting to complete for Ella for quite some time now.
Of course Ella couldn't leave empty handed. I have not found a second hand clothing store anywhere in Arnhem, and was shocked to find this one down a small side street. Walking around aimlessly paid off. They had some very nice clothing at a reasonable price. Ella will look cute in her two new dresses.
Our night ended with a perfect dinner out at a restaurant we've only been to twice, but we love!!!! They have the best ribs (that we can find here).
A day out for under 50 euro.....not bad!
"The journey between what you once were and who you are now becoming is where the dance of life really takes place." Barbara DeAngelis
About Us
- The Wilcox Family
- The title for our blog came from the saying "thinking outside the box", which means to think differently, unconventionally or from a new perspective. "Enjoy your choices and enjoy what you do. Never let a day go by without being thankful for the fact that you get to be here in the first place." Hopefully this blog will help family and friends to stay a little closer to us even though were thousands of miles apart; as well as to share in our trials, daily life adventures and traveling experiences.
No comments:
Post a Comment