About Us

My photo
The title for our blog came from the saying "thinking outside the box", which means to think differently, unconventionally or from a new perspective. "Enjoy your choices and enjoy what you do. Never let a day go by without being thankful for the fact that you get to be here in the first place." Hopefully this blog will help family and friends to stay a little closer to us even though were thousands of miles apart; as well as to share in our trials, daily life adventures and traveling experiences.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Gefeliciteerd

"Happy Birthday"
I was able to enjoy my 30th birthday celebration dutch style this year! I have to admit, I was a little bummed to wake up and be 30!!! I actually woke up and walked to the bathroom feeling a little down. That was until I saw the toilet paper roll. Yes you read it correctly. My 30th birthday started out with a huge smile on my face all because of the toilet paper...



There are two different sayings on the toilet paper. It says "Hurray for 30, you still look young" and "women are more attractive as they age."

Doug apparently went to the store and got a few things to help make this milestone of a birthday a little more exciting since we are away from friends and family. Birthday celebrations in Holland are a very big deal. When you turn 50, families decorate the outside of the person's home with huge banners and often a figure of the person, which is created using stuffed clothing and a mask. (Thankfully I'm not turning 50). I have posted a few pictures on this blog before when we have noticed it in our neighborhood. You can see a picture of what I am referring to under January 2010 the title "Traditions".

I then changed Ella and got her ready for the day. We always look out her window when finished and here again a smile was brought to my face!



Finally downstairs.......the real decorations began!


A string of 30's to walk through!


A banner with 30's hanging from the dining room into the living room.


BALLOONS in many different places: (The balloon can be translated to "yippee for 30, or Hip Hip Hooray for 30, or Cheers 30 years")


Here is a view from outside the house:





It says Hoera 30.....en nog steedsaantrekkelijk (which means Yippe for 30....and still attractive) Leave it to Doug to pick out that sign!!

For dinner Doug made me his famous fettucini alfredo and I made us a mozzerella and tomato salad with pesto dressing. Everything was DELICIOUS!!!



Before Ella was too sleepy, we decided to have birthday cake. (too bad she couldn't try a piece). 30 candles is A LOT!!!! I was able to blow out 26 candles on the first try (guess that mean's I'm really only 26), then 3 more, and on the 3rd try, I got the final candle......haha. Look at all that smoke!!!!





The end to my birthday celebration was the special "30" sparkle that Doug bought. How fun!!



2 comments:

la petite lulu said...

I'm so pleased to have discovered your blog Kristina, it's lovely! It looks like you had a great birthday, Dutch style - gefeliciteerd!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

What an awesome birthday! So excited the Doug made it fun for you! Love the 30 sign in the window!! :) Tiffany