About Us

My photo
The title for our blog came from the saying "thinking outside the box", which means to think differently, unconventionally or from a new perspective. "Enjoy your choices and enjoy what you do. Never let a day go by without being thankful for the fact that you get to be here in the first place." Hopefully this blog will help family and friends to stay a little closer to us even though were thousands of miles apart; as well as to share in our trials, daily life adventures and traveling experiences.

Thursday, December 17, 2009

It's beginning to look A LOT like Christmas!!


I woke up today....to SNOW!!!!!!! We were told it never snows here. It is suppose to get cold, and rainy even in the months of winter here, but not snow! There has to be about 2 inches on light dusty snow outside. Radio said there are traffic jams everywhere. Doug had no problems getting to work (must be all the practice from driving in snow over the years). I haven't seen many cars on our street and absolutely NO bicycles. They are usually everywhere. I guess it's a good thing we brought our snow shovel anyway. I don't even know if they have equipment to plow the roads. I haven't seen anything go by yet. The forecast is that it will lightly snow all day. It feels so much like home and Christmas! Doug has been boasting to family at home that it's so much warmer here and that we walk the dogs in sweatshirts at night. Well.....things have drastically changed in one week. I took some pictures outside. As I said before, I'm not sure what kind of snow removal equipment they have here. I saw the guy across the street at the gas station shoveling with a hand made wooden shovel.





This is the beautiful house across the street. It is HUGE!!



Looking down the side street that runs parallel to our house.



By this afternoon many more people were out and about. Teenage boys were out front of the house chasing each other and throwing snowballs. I saw many parents pulling their children on those old wooden sleds with the metal runners. A snow plow did finally come by the house. It had a typical plow like you'd see in the states, but instead of a dump truck, it was a big, green, John Deere tractor. When Doug got home from work he said that his Dutch co-workers explained that this type of snowfall only happens about every three years. It is not typical to have a white Christmas. Hopefully the snow will stick around until the end of next week and we will have a white Christmas after all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you guys actually got more snow then we did!!!!

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures!!!!!

Aunt Mary and Uncle Don said...

Your house looks lovely, and so clean!!! It's kind of nice to be home and have the time isn't it? I especially love your craft area.
I have to show this to Uncle Don. I have been asking him to build me a desk with drawers and such for my jewelry making. But of course he's been procrastinating. Love, Aunt Mary

Aunt Mary and Uncle Don said...

Hi Doug! Just wanted to say hello. Happy Valentine's Day!