About Us

My photo
The title for our blog came from the saying "thinking outside the box", which means to think differently, unconventionally or from a new perspective. "Enjoy your choices and enjoy what you do. Never let a day go by without being thankful for the fact that you get to be here in the first place." Hopefully this blog will help family and friends to stay a little closer to us even though were thousands of miles apart; as well as to share in our trials, daily life adventures and traveling experiences.

Monday, February 11, 2013

Storytime Kit

I have been wanting to put together some little activities involving different themes, similar to a preschool setting that Ella and I can work on together a few days a week. I have been in search of a kids easel so we can use magnetic letters, draw with white board markers and possibly use one side as a felt board where I can make various things out of other pieces of felt so they will stick. I tried craigslist for a used one in our area but haven't found anything that is what I'm really looking for. I have decided to wait and purchase this one by Melissa and Doug in the next few months.

 For now I have been on the internet finding some activities we can engage in together. Mostly ones involving letters, colors, numbers and shapes. She knows a lot of them already but she's very busy during the day. She keeps asking about school and we just don't think she should go to preschool yet, even though I know she's ready and very willing to go!! I was surprised by how many free preschool curriculums I found that involve so many different themes and activities.

It seems like most of them though will involve quite a lot of work, something I'm just not sure how much I want to do upfront until I see how she response to trying this at home. Besides, by the fall when she's 3, we'll consider preschool a bit more.

We already spend time coloring, painting and playing with playdough so I'm going to venture into the world of cutting and gluing to make some crafts together. Not sure if she's ready but hopefully within the next few weeks we'll have a better grasp on it.

The most exciting thing I came across just this week was the Storytime Kits that are offered at our library. You can check them out for free, same as a book! The kits are assembled around popular themes and they have about 40 of them. Within each kit there are several books, DVD's, flannelboards, fingerplays and songs written out, craft ideas and sometimes puppets related to the theme. Just what I was looking for and FREE!!!!

Today I went in search of colors and shapes, but it was already signed out. I decided to try Farm Animals since Ella can name all kinds of farm animals and the sounds they make. She should be very involved in the activities related to this bag.

No comments: