About Us

My photo
The title for our blog came from the saying "thinking outside the box", which means to think differently, unconventionally or from a new perspective. "Enjoy your choices and enjoy what you do. Never let a day go by without being thankful for the fact that you get to be here in the first place." Hopefully this blog will help family and friends to stay a little closer to us even though were thousands of miles apart; as well as to share in our trials, daily life adventures and traveling experiences.

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Over a month later......

I know it has been over a month since I have been on here to update our blog. So many things have been going on since our departure from Holland and our arrival/stay in the U.S. I still have a few old posts to catch up about our last few outings before leaving Holland and I promise I WILL get to it eventually.

We have been spending all our time enjoying all the things we missed and loved about home!

1. Swimming....

2. Celebrating Independence Day.......July 4th started with the parade in our hometown, walking the green to see all the crafts and ended with fireworks at night! Ella loved that they threw candy during the parade and tried her first lollipop. At first she was afraid of the fireworks, but then enjoyed them and for days talked about the "booms"!


trying to wait patiently for the parade to start (on a VERY hot day!)



3. Family time...... we set off to see my brother in Philadelphia. We all enjoyed the Please Touch Museum just as much as Ella did!











I think Ella enjoyed the supermarket the best and played along with a random girl who wanted to "ring up" Ella's purchase at the cash register. 



4. Shopping......at the HUGE King of Prussia Mall (Europe shopping made me forget what America has to offer) resulted in two of Ella's favorites "mimmy" and goofy!

5. Food......who could resist visiting Philadelphia without indulging in a DELICIOUS Philly Cheese Steak.


As if the cheese steak wasn't enough for over indulging American style, we also had a few visits to our favorite hometown ice cream stand, Antols. We were good during our first visit but then I just had to get a favorite.....chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwich. Ella really enjoyed her first very own soft serve cone.


6. Picking fresh blueberries....  The biggest, juiciest blueberries I've tasted in a long time. Our freezer is stocked so we can enjoy blueberry pies, muffins, and pancakes until next season.






 Ella ate them as fast as she could pick them off the bushes and we could fill the bucket.

7. Camping......if you want to call it that! Doug's parents upgraded to a newer camper which is nicer than most hotels you can stay in. Ella still enjoyed the outdoors, smores, campfires, and swimming of course!








8. Carnival Season....... a favorite childhood memory for both Doug and I. We went to the Forest Lake carnival but it was nothing like when we were kids. There weren't any rides and only a few games. When we were kids we spent hours and hours at the carnival. I was very excited to share this experience with Ella, but it was mostly food. Ella tried out the bouncy house and we ate BBQ chicken and a funnel cake...YUM.


9. Moving......We ended the month of July with our things arriving from Holland about 3 weeks earlier than expected....YIKES!! Thankfully we found an apartment and now we have been spending some time getting settled in. Stay tuned for more on our new home!







4 comments:

la petite lulu said...

It looks like you guys are right back into the swing of things, that's great! And very lucky your stuff came so quick, I was hoping it wouldn't end up like ours. Have fun settling into your new place, I am hoping that one day we can come visit your side of the country :D

Anonymous said...

Ella just keeps getting cuter and cuter! I love her fourth of july dress :) SO happy to have you back in the US!

Maryanne said...

Antols. Yum!

The Wilcox Family said...

We are settling in very well Luana and I think our things arrived so easily because we were Americans! I'm trying not to go to Antols too much Marryanne. Thanks Rita...can you believe I actually bought her 4th of July dress in Holland!? I tried to do summer shopping there before we came back. I need to find some better shopping places for her now that I'm here. It seems like everyone has Carters clothing and then I feel like she's dressed just like everyone else. Can't wait to catch up with you!