Every parent wonders what their child will be when they grow up. After Ella's check-up yesterday, Doug and I found ourselves joking around about whether or not Ella would be a basketball player or a part of the Rockettes. The Dutch are considered to be VERY tall individuals. On the height chart yesterday Ella was above the average height for her age. At only 21 pounds and a few inches under 3 feet tall.....our little pumpkin is turning into a string bean!
We all have high hopes for our children. Both Doug and myself are educated, well-rounded individuals (or least we like to think so...) I have heard other parents say I hope my child is (fill in the blank with a profession) someday or my child goes to ----- college. Every once in awhile Doug and I will find ourselves talking about this and I always have the same response.....she'll grow up to be what she wants to be (profession wise).
I am always reading something "parent" related. Unfortunately that seems to be my bedside reading material instead of something for fun. I am currently trying to read through Unconditional Parenting: Moving from Rewards and Punishments to Love and Reason by Alfie Kohn. I am not too sure how I feel about this book yet. It seems like I read one point made by the author and I can relate or make sense of it and then on the next page he has me thinking....WHAT?!?!
The introduction really caught my attention (hence why I decided to read it) when he wrote
"Even before I had children, I knew that being a parent was going to be challenging as well as rewarding. Bit I didn't really know. I didn't know how clueless it was possible to feel, or how each time I reached the end of my rope, I would somehow have to find more rope. (bla bla, bla....some more info) and then
"The bottom line is that raising kids is not for wimps. Forget "rocket science" or brain surgery" When we want to make a point that something isn't really all that difficult, we ought to say, "Hey, it's not parenting...."
I found these words very truthful and whatever Ella chooses to be, I hope to raise her as a caring, self-reliant, confident (but knowing
limitations), individual who is able to set goals. Being a parent certainly is not easy but I think it's important to not think
about "what profession" our children will grow up to be a part of, but
"what kind" of person they will be. Who knows....maybe basketball or rockettes is in Ella's future!
For all those younger moms who read our blog.....any suggestions of parent books you have read and found useful??
"The journey between what you once were and who you are now becoming is where the dance of life really takes place." Barbara DeAngelis
About Us
- The Wilcox Family
- The title for our blog came from the saying "thinking outside the box", which means to think differently, unconventionally or from a new perspective. "Enjoy your choices and enjoy what you do. Never let a day go by without being thankful for the fact that you get to be here in the first place." Hopefully this blog will help family and friends to stay a little closer to us even though were thousands of miles apart; as well as to share in our trials, daily life adventures and traveling experiences.
No comments:
Post a Comment