About Us

My photo
The title for our blog came from the saying "thinking outside the box", which means to think differently, unconventionally or from a new perspective. "Enjoy your choices and enjoy what you do. Never let a day go by without being thankful for the fact that you get to be here in the first place." Hopefully this blog will help family and friends to stay a little closer to us even though were thousands of miles apart; as well as to share in our trials, daily life adventures and traveling experiences.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Homemade Pizza

Friday night I tried a pizza dough recipe without yeast. It was so good we decided to have it Sunday night too.

For the dough you will need:

2 1/2 cups flour
2 3/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 Tlbsp. oil
3/4 cup water
I added my own little twist to the dough and it was tasty. I added in basil and garlic powder. You could sprinkle in as much as you like or leave it out. 

Mix dry ingredients. Add 3/4 cup water and oil. Stir until it forms a ball. If dough is stiff, add a few drops of water at a time.  The dough will be soft and a bit sticky. Sprinkle flour over the ball in the bowl you mixed it. Knead in the bowl for 3-4 minutes, sprinkling more flour as needed (if it continues to get sticky).  Roll out the dough to the size and thickness you like for pizza. Pinch the edges of the dough to form a thicker crust to hold in the sauce and toppings. I cooked the pizza on a baking stone, but you might be able to use a cookie sheet. (be sure to flour whatever you are cooking the dough on so it won't stick). The best way to use the baking stone is to place it in the oven and set the temperature. That way your cooking stone warms up slowly. Once your oven is preheated, transfer your prepared crust to the stone and bake. (that part can be tricky.....be sure to flour whatever you are using to hold your crust before transferring it)


Then all you need to do is chop up the vegetables you would like on it. (We only used veggies, but I am sure pepperoni or sausage would taste good too.)  For our pizza we used one green and one yellow peppers, one onion and a small bag of fresh mushrooms. I had a lot left over so this was another factor in making it twice in the same weekend.





Add pizza sauce to the crust (I used half a can at a time). Be careful not to add too much or your dough will be soggy. Then add toppings.

WAIT on the cheese until after you cooked it a bit. I used a bagged pizza cheese as well as fresh grated mozzarella.

Bake at 450F for 15-25 minutes. I didn't really set the timer, but just checked it every few minutes. You want your crust to start to look done around the edges as well as you veggies to look tender. Then add the cheese so it melts nicely (and doesn't burn too much.


Hope you enjoy it!

1 comment:

Mom said...

Yummy! Looks delicious.