Do you know the saying "prepare for the worst hope for the best"? Well it pretty much sums up my past week. Since arriving back in Holland I knew there were some things that I needed to change now that Ella was back and settled in.
Before leaving for our trip back home to the U.S we had started to wean Ella from using her pacifier. She very easily gave it up for naps and most nights she didn't have it either. But then I took it with me for use on the airplane and then got suckered into letting her use it the whole time we we were home....naps and bedtime!! So after a few days back here I had her quit cold turkey. For the past four days now she hasn't used it for naptime or bedtime!! (I was prepared for the worst.....but it actually worked out well!)
It was nice weather the first few days after we got back, then we had a few days of very cold! I am sure to take the dogs for a walk everyday and somedays they sucker me into two walks! Since Ella and I don't get out much anyway I figure as long as it's not bitter cold I can bundle her up and we can go. (besides, by the time I get her dressed, get the dogs and myself ready, go for a walk, and then get her undressed AND the dogs and myself taken care of, it can take a good chunk of time out of our day that beats sitting inside!) Bundling up Ella means a winter hat and now.....mittens!! For a kid that has NEVER EVER wanted to keep socks, shoes, hats, or any kind of hair accessory on....I was prepared for the worst when it came to a winter hat and mittens! Surprising I got this........
We have been bundling up for a few days now and no meltdowns yet! Even when we wear her other winter coat that almost swallows her she is as content as can be sitting in her stroller. And she has not been pulling her mittens off!
I have been reading that around age one you should try and not use bottles but rather sippy cups. Ella was down to only one bottle (her bedtime one) for quite some time now. She already drinks her morning milk (formula) as well as water throughout the day from a sippy cup , so I didn't think it would be hard to have her drink from a sippy cup at night too. I was prepared for the worst with this situation because that meant she wouldn't get the bottle right at bedtime as part of her bedtime routine. I thought for sure this would not go over well...but so far so good! The first night there was more crying in her crib than usual (because thankfully we barely hear any) but after a little while she went right off to sleep.
AND FINALLY....her dreaded allergy! I was told to slowly try dairy products. A few months ago we tried regular yogurt with no success but soy yogurt a few weeks later was very successful. I didn't feel comfortable trying a bit of whole milk instead of her formula while we were visiting the U.S with everything else we had going on during our stay. So now that we are back that is the next thing to tackle. For two different days she has eaten regular yogurt and had no reaction. I am hoping for a "prepare for the worst--get the best" turn-out since that seems to be my luck lately. Time will tell I guess.
After all this preparing for the worst stuff, I have to admit I feel rather guilty! I think we have the easiest going kid out there. While everyone asks when we'll have another one, we both agree that we could not possible EVER get that lucky with a another child. We are very blessed with one amazing little girl and I couldn't ask for anything more than that!!
"The journey between what you once were and who you are now becoming is where the dance of life really takes place." Barbara DeAngelis
About Us
- The Wilcox Family
- The title for our blog came from the saying "thinking outside the box", which means to think differently, unconventionally or from a new perspective. "Enjoy your choices and enjoy what you do. Never let a day go by without being thankful for the fact that you get to be here in the first place." Hopefully this blog will help family and friends to stay a little closer to us even though were thousands of miles apart; as well as to share in our trials, daily life adventures and traveling experiences.
No comments:
Post a Comment