Our neighbor Matthijs will be celebrating his 12th birthday on September 10th. Last weekend his sister Anne-Marie came over to ask if I would help her to make cupcakes for his birthday party. I agreed and between yesterday and today we made some awesome "voetbal" (soccer for us Americans) cupcakes.
I didn't have the design in my new cupcake book but after searching on the internet we found a design we decided to copy. At first I assumed it was a small birthday party with his family and maybe some friends. I got the supplies and started making the cupcakes. I quickly learned that Matthijs and a friend were having their birthday parties together and there would be 30-40 kids!!! YIKES...that's a lot of cupcakes and decorating.
Anne-Marie and I got right to work. She was in charge on making the cupcakes look like grass.
I started on the edible voetbals (soccer balls), which took me two days. I was a little worried at first because I wasn't sure how to do it. I did a test one by started out with an oreo cookie and put the design on it with white frosting. But then I realized it had to be the other way around. The ball needed to look white and the design needed to be black.
So I took the Oreo cookies apart and completely covered each side in white icing. Then I used the dark chocolate icing I had made (using lots of food coloring to get more of a black color) and got started.
| Starting to look more like soccer balls! |
I was extremely happy with the final product. Anne-Marie and I worked very hard. I had to do some more myself of Saturday, even after we spent 3 hours baking and starting to decorate on Friday. I made the boys their own little cake with their names on to go with the cupcake theme.
We had one very happy birthday boy!

1 comment:
They look awesome!!!!
Post a Comment