About Us

My photo
The title for our blog came from the saying "thinking outside the box", which means to think differently, unconventionally or from a new perspective. "Enjoy your choices and enjoy what you do. Never let a day go by without being thankful for the fact that you get to be here in the first place." Hopefully this blog will help family and friends to stay a little closer to us even though were thousands of miles apart; as well as to share in our trials, daily life adventures and traveling experiences.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Happy 4th of July!!



Last year we missed celebrating the 4th of July terribly, so we took it upon ourselves to be sure to do something this year....even if we do live in Holland. We decided we would have a small BBQ. Doug started inviting people from work, but the list kept growing. I invited some friends I have made here and a set of neighbors we have begun talking to more and more. Before we knew it, there were 30 people coming to our "small" BBQ.  I started planning what to eat about a week in advance and watched the flyers for sales (feeding 30 people and ourselves wouldn't be cheap).  I made sure to have an authentic American BBQ. I made pasta salad and potato salad, cupcakes (loved how they turned out), 2 fruit trays and fruit dip baked beans, Texas wieners, and chocolate covered strawberries (my first attempt).








We bought hamburgers and hotdogs, although they are not nearly as good as in the U.S. (I do miss a good ballpark hotdog!!) We also had pork Shish Kabobs that we bought already made.

We couldn't have pulled off the BBQ without the help of our good friends and landlord the Ambting family. Because they are members to a special store here called Makro, we were able to buy some items in bulk. It felt like we were home while shopping at Makro. It was a combination of Walmart and Sam's Club. We have not seen a store anything like it since we have moved here. You have to own your own business to be able to shop there, or else we would become a member. Luckily the Ambtings said we can use there card whenever we want!!

We were very unsure of the weather so we also but up a tent. Thankfully the Ambitings came to the rescue again and had a very large one for us to use. We transformed our front yard into a party zone!! The rain held off, but it was quite chilly for this time of year. (I tried to decorate a little too.)

  


Everyone had some fun.....grilling, playing quoits, enjoying some sunshine, and playing Blokus.





And who could forget about our little firecracker (who looked adorable in her red, white and blue dress from Aunt Katie and Uncle Matt).

2 comments:

Diane Truman said...

Kristina - You are sooo creative. I absolutely love the ants and watermelon cupcakes! Love, Mom

Rita said...

Very cute! Glad you were able to celebrate the 4th and have a taste of food from home :)