The "Huishoudbeurs" is held every February in Amsterdam. My neighbor and good friend Esther invited me to go along with her. She said that it was a big shopping day with all kinds of vendors. I didn't really know what to expect. After having experienced the event I would describe it as what we would call in English as a Trade Show. It was a significant event for importers & exporters of Decoration, Home & Office Design, Furniture, Lightning, Fabrics, Clothing, Textiles, Handicraft Products, Gifts & Souvenirs, Home Exhibitions, Kitchen & Bathroom accessories. We spent all day there and didn't come close to seeing everything. If you want to know what kind of products are in Holland, this is the place to go!!
I think that if I had gone last February after only moving here in November I would have been extremely overwhelmed by it all. I was able to recognize a lot of the products. There was a huge section (where we spent most of our time) for babies and pregnancy. It might have been nice to go last year when we first found out we were pregnant. We would have gotten the full Dutch experience as far as the styles they have for baby furniture, gear and clothing! I really enjoyed seeing all the different pregnant women who went to the booth where you could get your belly painted and then they took a picture for you. Although I LOVED having my "pumpkin" belly painted by Doug, these bellies had very fancy scenes and artsy pictures!!
It was a very nice day out with Esther and it was fun to experience a real dutch experience with her.
Here is a glimpse of our day:
The Amsterdam RAI complex in south Amsterdam where the event was held. It is one of the busiest exhibition and conference centers in the world and has numerous events held there throughout the year. This event took up almost the entire building (multiple floors).
Looking down onto just one of the levels. There were sooooooo many people. EVERYONE had something on wheels. Wheelchairs, walkers, a million and one strollers and even suitcases to help carry purchases! I couldn't get over how many people had those airplane carry on suitcases with wheels.....so I had to take a picture!
It was EXTREMELY crowded. If you are the type of person who doesn't like shopping shoulder to shoulder with everyone else, I would not recommend this event. This was my first experience out in such a crowded area with our big stroller. I surprisingly did ok, but by the end of the day, I was tired and ready to go home! And so was Ella!!
She was an angel while we were out all day. She loved watching all the people. There were special tents set up by Pampers where you could use a changing station and get a free diaper. That made it very easy. Medela also had a nursing tent! I was a bit uncomfortable having to feed Ella here. It is so common all over Europe just to nurse anywhere (no covering yourself up either), but I still don't feel that comfortable. I did it though!! And I had to have Esther take a picture of the sign and strollers, AKA buggies. (although you can just make me out and a few others, (OOPS) in the background!)

No comments:
Post a Comment